Our plans cover both the renovation of the existing main house as well as the construction of a second, standalone building, Wood House, which was completed in spring 2019. Together these buildings will provide us with two independently functioning facilities with accommodation for a total of 78 people.
In the iconic White House, with its sweeping views over the Wye Valley, we propose to create flexible space with 38 beds as well as a small kitchen and dining area. Fundamental improvements to the fabric and facilities of this building are needed to bring it up to modern day standards.
The remaining 40 beds on site are housed in the new Wood House which also includes a commercial standard kitchen and dining hall large enough for the whole site. A large covered area that allows outdoor activities to continue during inclement weather has also been designed into this building.
Additional improvements to the site have include the conversion of the old coach house into warden’s accommodation, improved storage facilities, upgraded electricity supply and improved site drainage.
Our plans have been divided into 3 main phases, although the scope of works in each phase and its duration is dictated by the speed of inflow of funding.
Phase 1 Project preparation and Coach House conversion – Cost £207,000 – Completed and paid for.
- Professional fees for feasibility study, project design and planning applications amounted to £56,000
- Refurbishment of the Coach House and associated infrastructure was completed in early 2016 at a cost of £151,000. This is now the residence of our onsite Warden
Phase 2 New accommodation building – Wood House Cost £1.4m – Completed and paid for.
- New building providing 40 beds with all the necessary toilet/showers and a hall with dining and kitchen facilities to cater for up to 80 people. The building also contains a laundry/drying room, storage rooms and a covered outdoor activity area.
- The internal fit out and handover of the new building was completed in spring of 2019. and it is available for lettings all year round
Phase 3 Modernisation of the existing building – Cost £1,276,000 – work started.
- Restore the main house to modern standards and to provide flexible space for 24-36 beds with the necessary toilet, shower, cooking and dining facilities, together with meeting space, laundry and drying rooms.
- Landscape the grounds
Planning permission was granted for all of our plans by the Forest of Dean District Council in December 2014. This last phase of the modernisation works, as was the case with previous phases, will be subject to sufficient funds becoming available to complete the phase.